Luther Seminary Quick Facts
What is the Luther student body like? How many professors are there? Where do Luther graduates work? How much does a Luther seminary education cost? Read below for the answers to these questions and more!
Students | Graduates | Faculty | Financial Aid | Seminary Finances | Accreditation and Affiliation
Enrollment by degree program
- 52% Master of Divinity
- 18% Master of Arts (including Master of Sacred Music)
- 13% Ph.D., Master of Theology
- 12% Doctor of Ministry
- 5% Certificate, non-degree or special programs
Distributed Learning Master of Divinity Enrollment
Children, Youth and Family Ministry Enrollment
- 30 Master of Arts and 15 Master of Divinity students are enrolled in the CYF residential degree program
- 30 students are enrolled in the CYF DL degree program
- 31% (240 students) represent denominations and faiths other than the ELCA
- 41 denominations and traditions other than the ELCA
- One-third of ELCA pastors
- An increasing number of ELCA lay professionals
- Leaders of many global Lutheran and ecumenical churches
- 44 faculty
- 20 adjunct faculty
- $2.6 million in financial aid during 2012-13
- Covers approximately 43 percent of tuition
Financial aid to students is based upon the 2012-13 fiscal year.
Tuition and living expenses
- $15,000 annually for full-time study
- $32,870* annually for full-time study, living expenses and books
*Reflects cost for students living on campus and reflects the 2012-13 academic year
- 31% graduate without seminary debt
- 69% graduate with seminary debt
- Median indebtedness is $42,279
Financial information is current as of October 2012 and is based upon the 2012-13 fiscal year.
Luther Seminary is committed to raising funds to help reduce student debt through:
Sources of Seminary Income
- 36% Gifts and grants from individuals and congregations
- 27% Tuition and fees
- 14% Auxiliaries and other sources
- 15% Endowment income
- 8% ELCA churchwide and synod support
Total Income Budget
- $23 million
- Size of endowment: $65.4 million (as of June 30, 2012)
Budget information is current as of October 2012 and reflects the 2011-12 fiscal year.
Annual Gifts Matter
- Donor support made up 51 percent of the annual budget when combining outright gifts and endowment income.
- Charitable gifts cover everything from student scholarships and cross-cultural experiences to new course development and much more!
Accreditation and Affiliation
Luther Seminary is one of the eight seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
Luther Seminary is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The following degree programs are approved: M.Div., M.A., M.S.M., D.Min., M.Th., Ph.D.
Accreditation Agency contact information:
The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Phone: 800-621-7440 / 312-263-0456
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada
10 Summit Park Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275