A Guide for ELCA Congregational Archives and History
Archival Services Offered to Congregations
1. Celebrating an anniversary?
The archives can send you samples of what other congregations have prepared for the occasion.
2. Special service coming up? (e.g., Founder's Day or Heritage Sunday)
The archives will provide sample programs and will rent historic vestments.
3. Missing details of your congregation's history?
The archives can often fill in the gaps for you and suggest valuable material to include in your congregation's written history.
4.Missing the picture of a former pastor?
The archives usually has it or knows where it can be found.
5. Trouble reading old congregational records?
Translation assistance is available.
6. Not sure where to begin in planning a congregational archives?
The archives staff will work with your committee in establishing good record keeping procedures.
7. Have questions about American Lutheranism in general?
We have the sources available, or know where they can be found.
Memory Work: A Guide for ELCA Congregational Archives and History is prepared by Paul Daniels, Archivist and Curator of the Luther Seminary and ELCA Region3 Archives. ©1991, Revised 1998, 2001 and 2003. Reproduction and sharing is permitted, provided this credit is included.