Cross Cultural Mission Experiences are short-term immersion experiences in various cultural settings, satisfying degree requirements for M.Div. and M.A. students. Contact the Cross-Cultural office for more information about these experiences.
Cross-Cultural updates sent to Students via e-mail on March 22, 2013:
This e-mail contains: (1) General update on the cross-cultural requirement for M.Div. students and (2) Summer 2013 CC courses (sign up opens Monday, March 25).
(1) General update about CCME requirement:
The Cross-Cultural Mission Experience (CCME) course remains a requirement in Luther Seminary's current M.Div. curriculum for the 2013-14 Academic Year. The CCME courses are a curriculum requirement for M.Div. students and may fulfill requirements for certain M.A. students.
For the 2013-14 school year, a number of courses have been approved to fulfill the CCME requirement (as listed below). When registering, please pay attention to the credit hours of the courses; a .5 credit course may meet only one curriculum requirement. If you've already taken one of the courses listed below and you would like to discuss modifying which curriculum requirement it fulfilled, contact the office of the Registrar.
For the 2013-14 school year:
- Tentatively planned courses that will fulfill the CCME requirement (unless otherwise noted):
- EL3539 - Christian Education and Dismantling Racism
- PC4520 - Cultivating Congregational Care
- SCH303 - Public Issues in Urban Ministry (SCUPE course; usually 3 weekends in November, in Chicago; will be offered)
- RM4510 - Exploring Small Town and Rural Ministry - New Challenges for Pastoral Ministry (3 weekends in the semester; dates to be determined)
- SCM302 - Cross-Cultural Ministry & Interfaith Dialogue Intensive (SCUPE course; usually first 2 full weeks of January, in Chicago; will be offered)
- HC6348 - Luther the Pastor; for January 2014, an international travel course to Germany. An e-mail will be coming out from the office of the Academic Dean in the coming month with more details about this course. (will be offered)
- CY4540 - Children, Youth & Family Ministry in Urban Contexts
- CC1636 - Shalom Hill Farm & Small Town and Rural (STaR) Ministries; IA, SW MN, ND (2 weeks in January, dates to be determined)
- SCM304 - Christology and Culture(SCUPE course; usually 3 weekends in March, in Chicago; will be offered)
- SCH305 - Restoring Urban Communities (SCUPE course; usually 3 weekends in May, in Chicago; will be offered)
- EL3530 - Religious Education in Relation to Creation
- NT4280 - Race, Ethnicity and the New Testament
- SCM305Dimensions and Dynamics of Urban Ministry(SCUPE course; usually first 2 full weeks of June, in Chicago; will be offered)
- Additional ways of fulfilling the CCME requirements may be through:
- Alternative course (independent study): meet with a faculty member of your choice to craft an independent study that meets the requirements of the CCME course.
- M.Div. DL students - please remember that it is possible to petition for residential credit for an independent study with 3+ students.
- Past petitions include: added learning to a congregational companion synod trip, semester-long local immersion with new immigrants and more.
- Waiver based on past experience of theological reflection in an unfamiliar cultural context.
- J-term reciprocity: contact the office of the Registrar for more details about course offerings after the beginning of the Fall semester.
- Information about petitions for alternative courses and waiver of the CCME requirement may be found on the Cross-Cultural Education website, www.luthersem.edu/crosscultural.The website is currently being updated to reflect these transitions.
If you have specific questions about how to sign up for current CCME courses, please contact Elizabeth Flomo in the Cross-Cultural Education office; email@example.com. If you have more general questions about the future of the place of cross-cultural courses in the Luther Seminary curriculum, please direct your comments and questions to Dr. Michael DeLashmutt, Associate Dean for First Theological Degree Programs.
(2) Summer 2013 CCME courses:
- Rocky Boy's Reservation in Havre, MT, May 18-31, 2013. Read more here! Sign begins Monday, March 25 on the CCE website.
- Dimensions & Dynamics of Urban Ministry, SCUPE, Chicago, June 3-7, 10-14, 2013; Mondays to Fridays (9am-5pm) - sign up through the regular registration process, via MyLutherNet.
- Restoring Urban Communities, SCUPE, Chicago, June 3-8, 2013, Monday – Saturday (9am – 5pm) - sign up through the regular registration process, via MyLutherNet.
- Alternate courses (independent study) - the deadline has been extended to Sunday, March 24 for petitions for an alternate CCME course for this summer. Please click here to read more about how to apply for an alternate course.
- Waiver of the CCME requirement - a waiver based on past experience of theological reflection in an unfamiliar cultural context. Please click here to read more about how to apply for a waiver.
View current Cross Cultural Mission Experiences.
View anticipated CCME courses for upcoming Academic Years.
Click below to view information about submitting a petition for:
What's a Cross Cultural Mission Experience like?
Read these journals and blogs from past Cross Cultural Experiences:
- Haiti, J-Term 2010
- China, J-Term 2009
- Mexico City, J-Term 2006
- Pictures from Tanzania, J-Term 2005
- Border Immersion, Summer 2004
- Pictures from China, 2004
- Mexico City, J-Term 2004 (Also, read the article in The Story magazine)
- Pine Ridge Reservation, Fall, 2003
China 2009 Video!