Student Library Assistant (Circulation)
The purpose of this position is: to assist library staff in serving our various constituencies and in maintaining the organization of our book stacks.
- Circulation Desk Duties:
-check books in and out to a diverse community of library users
-interpret and apply library policies appropriately
-answer patron questions in person and by phone
-help library patrons find materials
-refer complex questions to appropriate staff member.
- Book stacks duties:
-other tasks, such as shifting or assisting with book withdrawal, as assigned.
- Opening and closing duties for evenings, weekends, and other times as needed.
-Retrieve items from book drop
-Make sure the book drop is open when the library is closed and closed when library is open.
-Unlock library doors at opening
-Lay out daily newspapers
-Put away stray books and periodicals at closing.
-With security personnel, make sure all patrons are out of the library at closing.
-Lock doors, shut down computers and turn off lights.
- Helping to maintain a safe and hospitable environment
-Assist patrons with wheelchair access via the elevator.
-With library staff, provide direction in weather emergencies.
- Commitment to Luther Seminary’s Mission and Vision.
The position requires a commitment to assisting students and other patrons as they use the library and its materials, as a basis for the fulfillment of Luther Seminary’s mission to educate leaders for Christian communities.
Desired education and experience:
- College degree
- At least one year of customer service type experience.
- Library work experience preferred but not required.
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly and tactfully, in person, by phone or by email, with fellow staff and library patrons.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Basic skills and comfort level with computers, printers and copiers.
- Must have a friendly, helpful attitude.
- Knowledge of ELCA helpful.
- Familiarity with other mainline Christian organizations also helpful.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the primary job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this description at any time without notice.
To apply please fill out the student work application form: https://www.luthersem.edu/employment/student_work_apply.aspx
Contact the hiring supervisor's Trisha Burr (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary Ann Teske (email@example.com) with questions.