Weddings at Luther Seminary
Luther Seminary is a theological educational institution of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Our chapels are places of Christian worship and the wedding service is by nature one of worship. We therefore require that the music, the readings, and all other aspects of the liturgy be appropriate for use within the context of Christian worship.
To inquire further regarding available wedding/reception dates and/or to schedule a facility tour, please complete our Initial Wedding Information Form.
- Seminary events are given priority when scheduling the chapels.
- Weddings are not permitted when the Seminary is officially closed for holidays and/or academic breaks.
- The soonest any chapel space may be reserved is twelve (12) months before the date of the wedding.
- The chapel rental fee is dependent on which chapel space is being reserved.
- A deposit of half the rental fee is required to reserve the space. This deposit is non-refundable. The balance of the rental fee must be paid in full at least two weeks prior to the wedding date.
- Event Insurance is required for your wedding. General liability is required, and Luther Seminary must be named as additional insured. You may obtain the event insurance through an agent of your choice, or you may obtain special event insurance through Luther Seminary by going to the following link and completing the Special Event Liability Insurance Application.
- A Wedding Coordinator will be required to be present during the rehearsal and wedding and will be available to answer questions related to the ceremony. The rental fee includes the services of the Wedding Coordinator.
- A Sound System Operator will be available for weddings scheduled in the Chapel of the Incarnation (Olson Campus Center). There is no sound system required in the other chapels on campus. Note: Luther Seminary does not provide video/digital recording or photography services.
- Bridal couples are responsible for securing and paying musicians for the wedding.
- Luther Seminary does not provide an officiant for weddings. Couples are advised to ensure that the person performing the wedding is properly ordained or certified within their respective denominational body and is licensed in the State of Minnesota.
- Florists, photographers and bridal consultants are to be arranged by the couple. Make sure you inform them all (particularly photographers) of the four hour total time limit on the day of the wedding, which includes time needed for dressing and taking pictures.
- Bridal couples need to make arrangements to have someone collect and remove personal items from the dressing areas following the ceremony, so nothing is forgotten in the joy following the wedding. Luther Seminary is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Also, any items used for decoration which do not belong to Luther Seminary must be removed immediately following the ceremony. This will not be the responsibility of the Wedding Coordinator. It is suggested that you assign one or two special friends to oversee this task.
- Alcohol, except for communion wine, is not permitted anywhere on the campus. Violation of this policy will result in cancellation of the ceremony and forfeiture of all deposits and payments. Please make sure everyone in your bridal party and families are made aware of this policy prohibiting alcoholic beverages (including champagne) anywhere on campus.
- Smoking is not permitted in any Luther Seminary building.
- Catering - Luther Seminary's Dining services is the exclusive provider of catering services for events held on campus. All food and beverage arrangements in the Campus Center must be contracted with them. For a complete listing of menus and pricing, call 651-641-3255 or email email@example.com.
- Parking is free, but is restricted to the parking lots and the non-residential side of the streets. Maps for designated parking areas can be found on the Seminary website and should be included in directions/maps provided with the couples' wedding invitations.
- No moving of the altar table or liturgical artwork is permitted.
- Plants, flowers or candles may not be place on the altar table, the piano or the baptismal font.
- Flowers or bows may be placed at the ends of pews only if they are attached with non-marring materials.
- No flower petals (real or artificial) may be thrown inside or outside the chapel as they may stain the floors and can cause the tile to become very slippery.
- Confetti, rice and birdseed are prohibited inside and outside the chapel.
- Aisle runners are discouraged. They do not stay in place on the tile floors and may cause a tripping hazard.
Luther Seminary retains the right to alter or change any of the policies outlined above without prior notification.
If you have any additional questions about having your wedding at Luther Seminary, please contact the Facilities Scheduling Coordinator by email or call 651-641-3432.