Luther Seminary is a theological educational institution of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; therefore, we encourage active congregational participation.
Our chapels are places of Christian worship and the wedding service is by nature one of worship. Therefore, we require that the music, the readings, and all other aspects of the liturgy be characterized by joy and dignity and reflect a worship environment. We also ask that you respect the artwork and symbols of faith displayed in our chapels. Changes are only made at the direction of the Seminary's Pastor's Office, in conjunction with the liturgical church year.
The complete Luther Seminary Wedding Guidelines are available online as a PDF file or upon request. Please note that:
- Wedding ceremonies must be performed by the couple's pastor or an ordained clergy who is ordained and/or certified within a denominational body and licensed in the State of Minnesota. The wedding coordinator will require credentials from the clergy performing the ceremony. This will be discussed when the reservation of space takes place.
- Alcohol, except for communion wine, is not permitted anywhere on the campus. Violation of this policy will result in cancellation of the ceremony and forfeiture of all deposits and payments.
- Smoking is not permitted in any Luther Seminary building.
- Catering - Luther Seminary is the exclusive provider of catering services on campus. The alcohol policy extends to catering services as well.
- Parking is free, but is restricted to the parking lots and the non-residential side of the streets.
- A deposit of half the chapel rental fee is required to reserve the space. This deposit is non-refundable. All wedding facility costs must be paid in no later than 30 days prior to the event.
- The cost of hosting weddings varies based on the couples' affiliation with the Seminary or a denominational church body. The wedding coordinator will go over pricing options with the couple after the online wedding request form is submitted.
Please consult the Wedding Guidelines (PDF) and/or the office of the Seminary Pastor for more specific policies, including decorating of chapel spaces.
If you have any questions about having your wedding at Luther Seminary, please contact the Wedding Coordinator in the chapel staff office by email or call 651-523-1614.
To inquire further regarding available wedding/reception dates and/or to schedule a facility tour, please complete our Initial Wedding Information Form. Please note that the seminary is not available for wedding ceremonies during the Christmas season, on days or weekends when a large seminary event is taking place (e.g. commencement, convocation) nor on other holidays when the seminary is closed.