Enhance your preaching by traveling abroad
A fellowship for a year of overseas study will be awarded to a Luther Seminary M.Div. senior who intends to enter parish ministry and who is committed to the proclamation of the gospel for the sake of the church and God’s mission in the world. The purpose of the fellowship is to improve one’s preaching through study and experience abroad.
The Graduate Preaching Fellowship offers a unique opportunity in another culture for reflection on and greater skill in the art of preaching in preparation for parish ministry. The student should be connected to an academic institution but does not need to be enrolled for credit or work towards a degree.
The primary intent of the award is to afford the student freedom for the study of preaching and time for other experiences related to preaching and worship. The insights and experiences gained by association with other cultures will broaden one’s understanding of preaching in the whole of Christ’s Church and will contribute significantly to one’s preaching in a congregational setting.
The generous award, given by an anonymous donor, will be based on preaching skills, academic performance, the quality of the application, and the thoroughness of the proposal. The recipient of the award will be expected to submit quarterly reports to the seminary that will be passed on to the donor organization.
Completed applications should be submitted to Dr. Karoline Lewis (Campus Box Bockman Hall) by Jan. 15, 2015.
Graduate Preaching Fellowship Application Instructions
The decision will be made by a faculty committee and the award recipient will be announced in February 2015 prior to first call assignment.
Please contact Karoline Lewis for questions, inquiries or additional information.
Read blogs by past Preaching Fellowship recipients
- Will Johnson, 2014-2015 recipient, is currently sharing his experiences in Africa and Scotland through his blog, The Year of Endless Summer.
- Rachel Ringlaben, 2013-2014 recipient, chronicled her time in Central and South America on her blog, One Story Catcher.
- Peter Speiser, 2012-13 recipient, blogged his experience at From the Ground Up.
- Kirsten Laderach, 2011-2012 recipient, kept a blog she named Cacophony and Rhyme.
- Amber Martin, 2010-2011 recipient, documented her journey at Visual Preacher.