Admission Requirements - Master of Theology degree
Applications for admission to the master of theology program are made to the Associate Dean - Graduate Theological Education ("associate dean") at Luther Seminary. Application materials for U.S. applicants should normally be received at least 30 days in advance of the term in which admission is sought.
International application deadlines for most degree programs are April 30 for Fall enrollment and October 31 for J-Term or Spring enrollment. International applicants should contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs for specific deadline information (email@example.com).
The priority deadline for grants is April 1 for Fall and Nov. 1 for J-Term and Spring.
Admission requirements include:
- A First Degree in Theology: Applicants must have a master of arts, master of divinity, or bachelor of divinity degree (or equivalent) from an accredited theological school.
- Acceptable Grade Point Average: Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for the first degree(s) in theology.
- Application Form: Application forms are available on request from the Office of Graduate Theological Education at Luther Seminary, or you may view and print application forms here.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate work must be sent directly from the schools to the Office of Graduate Theological Education at Luther Seminary. Applicants who graduated from Luther Seminary within 20 years from the time of application may submit a "Transcript Release Authorization" form to the Office of the Registrar for release of the undergraduate transcript. You may view and print the release form here.
- Recommendations: Three letters of academic recommendation are to be sent directly to the associate dean. Forms for these recommendations may be obtained from the Office of Graduate Theological Education or downloaded from the link just below. If an applicant comes from a school that does not give letter grades or uses some form of pass/fail system, the applicant must provide names and contact information of two additional professors with whom the applicant has studied. You may view and print recommendation forms here.
- TOEFL Score: (International applicants only) International applicants are required to submit a score from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The internet-based test (iBT) TOEFL score is preferred, although the computer-based and paper-based test scores will be accepted.
- 1st Theological degrees and post-master (M.Th.) 550; 213; or 80
- Ph.D. 600; 250; or 89 or GRE score if TOEFL or IELS is exempt
- Required IELS score are 6.5 and 7, respectively
- Luther's institutional code for TOEFL and GRE is 6377
- Clinical Pastoral Education (Pastoral care applicants only): One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in an approved, accredited program is a prerequisite for admission to the pastoral care area of study.
For further information contact:
- Paul Lokken, Associate Dean, Graduate Theological Education; 651-641-3234; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katie Dahl, Associate Director, Graduate Theological Education, 651-641-3203; email@example.com
- Sarah Grow, Program Coordinator, Graduate Theological Education, 651-523-1647; firstname.lastname@example.org