From Solemn Obligation to Inspired Choice
July 25-27, 2018
The church is shifting from a time when people gave money out of a sense of duty and obligation. We’ve entered a period in which trust in institutions is low, and individuals value their power to choose...where to give, what to click, and whether to attend at all. Yet, Jesus’ warning that one cannot serve both masters, God and mammon, is as relevant as ever. What does contextual stewardship require today? What can we leave behind? And what must we never forget? Join us July 25-27 for three days of conversation and exploration.
- Adam Copeland, Director of the Center for Stewardship Leaders at Luther Seminary
- Jennifer Kaalund, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at Iona College
- Martha Moore-Keish, Ph.D, Associate Professor of Theology at Columbia Theological Seminary
- Angela Reed, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Practical Theology and Director of Spiritual Formation at Baylor University's George W. Truett Theological Seminary
- Bruce Reyes-Chow, Transitional Pastor and Head of Staff at Valley Presbyterian Church in Portola Valley, Calif.
- Larry Strange, Director for Evangelical Mission, Southwestern Minnesota Synod of the ELCA
- Mark Teasdale, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Evangelism at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
- Erin Weber-Johnson, Senior Program Director of Strategic Resources at the Episcopal Church Foundation
Registration will open in early March.
Sign up to receive an email when registration opens.
Watch 2017 presentations on demand:
"Canoeing the Mountains" by Tod Bolsinger, Vice President for Vocation and Formation, Fuller Seminary, Pasadena, Calif.
"Cosmopolitan Christianities" by Elizabeth Drescher, Professor, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, Calif.
"That Box Doesn't Fit" by Jodi Houge, Pastor, Humble Walk Lutheran Church, Saint Paul, Minn.
"Resilient Church" by Brian Hughes, Lead Pastor, St. John Lutheran Church, Columbia, Md.
"State of the Church" by Kenneth W. Inskeep, Director for Research and Evaluation, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Chicago, Ill.
"More than Butts and Bucks" by Rolf A. Jacobson, Professor of Old Testament and The Alvin N. Rogness Chair of Scripture, Theology and Ministry, Luther Seminary, Saint Paul, Minn.
"Embodying Sanctuary" by Mihee Kim-Kort, Presbyterian minister and Ph.D. student, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Ind.
"Caring for Congregations in Adaptive Times" by Kara Root, Pastor, Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis, Minn.
Watch this page for information about the 2018 Rethinking event, to be held July 2018 at Luther Seminary.