St. Philip's Anniversary Committee Meeting Minutes (Part 6 of 9)
- Author: Carole, committee co-chair
- Updated: 03/19/2008
The minutes indicate the work done by the committee. They will identify the ideas generated and the plans for implementation. They can be used to stimulate what others might do
For more on the story, click on:
St. Philip's Miracle Anniversary Celebration: Celebrating a Heritage of Faith, Courage and Hope
March 17, 2003 9:30 a.m.
Members present: Neal, Clem, Ron, Mary Ann, Judy, Carole and Pastor Jerry Also attending: Wayne
Charter Member Brunch
- Ron and Neal have set April 15 at 11:30 a.m. for the Charter Member Brunch in the lounge.
- Judy will serve as moderator for the telling of heritage stories.
- Wayne and Jerry will videotape stories.
- Reminder cards to be sent to charter members to RSVP by April 13.
- About 38 charter members have been identified and invited.
Antique Car Show
- Neal will check with Daryl about possibility of a vintage car display.
- Cars could be displayed the morning of May 18. Consider using the funeral home parking lot.
- Judy and Clem designed letter to send out to selected members and also have available for all regarding telling of heritage stories.
- Mary Ann will interview any who wish to orally tell their story.
- Stories need to be turned in by April 20. A box will be provided in the office to gather stories and any memorabilia.
- Wayne will try to videotape youth and possibly others to tell stories. Video will be shown May 18.
- Stories will be typed (typos corrected) in large font and mounted on scrapbook pages for display on walls during the event and compiled into a permanent scrapbook following the celebration.
- Our group decided NOT to make booklets.
- Neal is gathering information about 1958 for display.
- Pictures and other memorabilia that are collected from members will be displayed.
- Old scrapbooks, anniversary booklets, etc., will be displayed.
- Clem will check into the possibility of displaying old confirmation pictures.
- One large worship service will be held Sunday, May 18 at 9:30 a.m.
- The staff welcomes suggestions for the worship service.
- Carole will organize the staff appreciation part of the service.
- Sub-theme of the event is "Butterflies, Blossoms and Balloons."
- Members will be asked to donate party cakes for the party.
- Have balloons available for the children.
- Carole will check with Mike about doing a slide show in the Fellowship Hall.
- Carole will check with Jane about a tiered butterfly cupcake display.
- Mary Ann and Carole will meet Wednesday, March 19, to write articles for the April newsletter.
- Main theme has been changed to "Faith, Courage and Hope."
- Will use posters to announce the event on during preceding weeks.
- Considered idea of a live butterfly release outdoors at the end of the worship service but we decided not to pursue the idea, as temperatures need to be at least 70 degrees and not raining. Weather bureau statistics provided by Mike are not favorable for this date.
Next meeting: Monday, April, 21, 2003, 9:30 a.m. Devotions: Judy Ferrier
Update since last meeting:
- Clem has sent out letters to former pastors to gather anecdotes.
- Judy has sent out letters to selected members to gather heritage stories.
- Mary Ann is sending letters to pastors who have not had their pictures displayed to ask them to have a picture taken. Carole checked with Owen Turnlund and he felt that it was OK to spend dollars for the portraits and framing.
- Pastor Jerry checked with Bette about banners for the worship service. She is working on "Butterflies, Blossoms and Balloons."
- Carole checked with Chris and she will ask Sunday school kids to create butterflies, blossoms and balloons for the banners and displays.
- Mary Ann checked with Chelsey and she will make some posters.
- Mary Ann is sending out letters to former members who have gone on to positions of leadership in the church to tell their stories.
- Mary Ann is researching finding addresses of former members to invite them to attend our celebration and to consider giving a gift to St. Philip's.
- Carole will check with Kristen about a possible "blossom" sale to benefit the youth.
- Mike Johnson said that it will not be possible to do the slide show during the event.
- Should we have carnations for the charter members to wear on May 18 and recognize them during the service?
- Judy has found a couple of volunteers who are willing to type some stories.
- Name tags will be available for the May 18 service.
April 21, 2003, 9:30 a.m.
Members present: Clem, Ron, Mary Ann, Judy, Carole and Pastor Jerry
Charter Member Brunch
- Thank you to Neal and Cathy for organizing a terrific brunch
- Ron reported that 24 charter members were in attendance
- Pastor Jerry and Fred did videotaping of charter members and now Wayne is editing for viewing in the chapel on May 18
Antique Car Show
- Carole will check with Neal for an update.
- If we are able to do the car show, we need further discussion about where to park the cars.
- Judy and Clem have received several heritage stories and anecdotes from former pastors and members.
- Judy will contact three families that said they were willing to share their stories.
- Judy and Clem will contact anyone else that they think may be willing to share a story.
- Videotaping will be done with a group of youth and also with Pastor Jan and Pastor Ryan.
- Mary Ann and Dorothy will type stories for display.
- Marilyn Swanson is available to help with display. Stories will be displayed on hallway walls beginning as early as May 3.
- Mary Ann is sending out letters to former members who have gone on to ministry positions asking them to share their stories.
- Carole will check with Neal for an update.
- Suggest contacting Betty for a quilt book display.
- Items will be displayed in the lounge May 18.
- Clem brought a notebook sample with clear display pages that could be used for a confirmation picture display.
- Suggest placing picture in front of page and names of confirmands one back page.
- Picture notebooks will be on display in lounge May 18.
Pastor Picture Wall
- Mary Ann has notified all pastors whose pictures are needed to have a picture done and she will arrange for framing.
- Pastor Jerry suggested that recognition of former staff, charter members and current staff be done right before actual service starts.
- Suggest having trays of spring-colored carnations ready to be pinned on for recognition.
- Many musical groups will be featured and pastors Jan and Ryan will both deliver a message.
- Name tags for everyone will be available on tables near greeters.
- The three sub-themes will be highlighted through banners and decorations on consecutive weekends:
May 3-4 Butterflies
May 10-11 Blossoms
May 17-18 Balloons
Sunday school kids are making the decorations and Bette Blair is doing banners using some of the decorations. Any extras will be displayed around the building. (Carole will check with Char if extra help is needed.)
- Mary Ann will check with Shirley and Doraine to organize the donation of party cupcakes.
- Dan will get back to Carole regarding Parish Fellowship serving cupcakes, punch and coffee.
- Jane is organizing two tiered butterfly cupcake displays to be used as serving table centerpieces.
- It does not work for Mike to do a slide show.
- Carole will check with Kara about organizing balloons for the children. They will be available in the Fellowship Hall following the service.
- Mary Ann and Carole will meet April 22 at 9:30 a.m. to write articles for the May newsletter and local newspapers.
- Our group decided to send reminder postcards to members the week of the celebration instead of making phone calls. We also suggest a computer message to remind people of the 9:30 a.m. service time.
- Chelsey is making posters to announce the "Butterflies, Blossoms and Balloons" sub-theme.
- Judy will ask Bev to organize making of posters to identify what is happening in various areas on May 18:
Lounge -- Confirmation class pictures, heritage booklets and scrapbooks, memorabilia and information about 1958
Chapel -- Showing of video
Fellowship Hall -- Birthday party and balloons
Hallways -- Heritage stories and anecdotes
Outside -- Antique car display and youth-sponsored spring plant sale
- Judy will do a "Mission Minute" on April 26-27 and Carole will do "Mission Minute" on May 10-11.
- Mary Ann is collecting names and addresses of former members to invite to our worship and celebration. Let her know if you know someone who should be invited.
- The youth are sponsoring a spring plant sale May 17-18.
- A group of interested people is working with Pastor Ryan to organize a '50s dance. It will be held May 16, 6:30--9:30 p.m.
Next meeting: Wednesday, May 7, 2003, 9 a.m. Devotions: Ron
May 7, 2003, 9 a.m.
Members present: Neal, Clem, Ron, Mary Ann, Judy, Carole and Pastor Jerry
Faith Heritage Story Video
- Pastor Jerry reports that Wayne Carson has the editing of the video nearly completed and that the charter member and youth stories are wonderful.
- Video will be shown during the Friday evening '50s dance and also during the Sunday birthday party.
- Suggest showing the video again at some of the summer brunches.
Antique Car Show
- Neal reports that Daryl plans to have some cars to show.
- Suggest parking on the grass in front of main sanctuary entrance.
- Cars should be parked in place by 10:45 Sunday morning.
- Judy reports that Marilyn will coordinate the set up using quilts as a background, if possible, for hanging stories and also as tablecloths for display tables.
- Recommend printing excerpts of some stories in "The Friend" during the summer.
- Ron, Neal and Jim are researching interesting facts about 1958 plus gathering photos and other memorabilia for display.
- Clem has completed the album of confirmation pictures except 1993 is still needed. (1994 has no picture since there was no confirmation that year due to changes in the program.) Carole will see if she has a 1993 picture.
Pastor Picture Wall
- Mary Ann has found the three remaining picture frames, Bob is doing the matting and Norm is getting the name plates engraved.
- Pastors Jan, Ryan and Joe have had portraits done. We are not sure if any of the other "missing" pastors plan to have a portrait done but all were invited to do so. Recommend that they NOT be asked again but in the future that we do portraits when a new pastor first arrives.
- Our committee will help with recognition portion of the service. (Neal will be gone.) Jan and Ryan will do a welcome, Judy and Carole will announce the three groups for recognition and explain the events of the morning as the groups come to the altar. After recognition by the congregation, each person will use the microphone to tell name, position, etc., and then get a flower from one of our other committee members.
- Mary Ann reports that Shirley and Doraine are calling people to bring 400 cupcakes.
- Parish Fellowship Committee will serve cupcakes, punch and coffee.
- Kara is organizing balloons for the children.
- Carole will check with Fred regarding taking pictures during the celebration. Clem will check with Larry Hille.
- Carole wrote article for local newspapers and Thelma Nash will fax today.
- Carole made list of anniversary events to be included in a bulletin insert for services this weekend.
- Reminder post cards will be sent to members next week to remind them of special service time.
- Judy reports that Bev is coordinating the making of posters to direct people to where events are happening.
- Mary Ann has sent out post cards to several former members with known addresses to invite them to attend.
Next meeting: Wednesday, May 28, 2003, 9 a.m.
Post Event Reflections; Devotions: Neal; Treats: Mary Ann