Story Magazine - Fall, 2011
148 graduates enter the mission field at the 142nd Commencement
On May 29, Luther Seminary celebrated its 142nd Commencement at Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. Degrees were awarded to 148 students, including 77 Master of Divinity and 35 Master of Arts recipients. There were 19 Doctor of Ministry graduates recognized. Master of Sacred Music, Master of Theology and Doctor of Philosophy degrees were also awarded.
Craig Koester, Asher O. and Carrie Nasby Professor of New Testament, gave a sermon to the graduates titled "Go, I am with you." He said, "The resurrection of Jesus is the reality to which you cling in the world to which you are going. It's the act of a God who calls light out of darkness, and life out of death. A God who must call faith out of your emptiness and a future out of your past."
Joel Skindlov, an M.Div. graduate, was elected by the senior class to speak on behalf of the graduates. Skindlov's address was truly memorable. "The highlight had to be Joel singing a melody of songs about 'time' and then breaking into a graduation rap," said M. Div. graduate Jonathan Davis.
"It was a fun day," said Skindlov, who will be serving his first call in Montana. During the ceremony, several graduates were recognized for academic excellence. They included:
- G.M. & Minnie Bruce Award in New Testament, presented to Mark James Dixon
- A.E. Hanson Prize in Homiletics, presented to Jonathan Shankles Davis and Rachel Wrenn
- John Milton Prize in Old Testament, presented to Grant Robert Applehans and Rachel Wrenn
- Graduate Preaching Fellowship, presented to Kirsten Jane Laderach
- The Children, Youth and Family Prize, presented to Amber Noelle Espinosa, Derek James Tronsgard and Kathryn Camille Vitek
- David W. Preus Servant Leadership Award, presented to Ruth Williamson
To view a photo album of pictures taken at this year's Commencement, visit www.flickr.com/photos/lutherseminary. Choose Sets, and then choose 2011 Commencement Sunday, 2011 Commencement Saturday, 2011 Commencement Hooding or 2011 Class Photos.