Let’s pursue a new call. Together.
Luther Seminary’s accelerated Master of Divinity program will prepare you to be an agile leader in Christian communities, building upon your gifts, talents, and ministry experience while offering the theological depth you need to live out your calling.
This fully funded program, known as “MDivX,” is a holy experiment to help the church reimagine theological education in a time of tremendous change. Our objective is to attract applicants who show the potential to be spiritually strong, theologically faithful, and entrepreneurially innovative to rethink how we cultivate Christian community in a secular age. Then we’ll cover the principal expenses incurred as part of their degree.
Ideal candidates already are working or studying at the intersection of the church and society. They sense a call to public, pastoral ministry and are ready to be a student and church worker full time.
Matching the academic rigor that Luther Seminary is known for, students enrolled in MDivX will earn their degrees in 24 months by participating in year-round classes and completing concurrent part-time congregational internships.
We’ve condensed the timeline of our comprehensive, traditional Master of Divinity curriculum, which includes signature courses focusing on the Bible, systematic theology, and leadership for mission.
Students will excel on a brisk schedule with the support of faculty who are leading scholars in their disciplines.
This integrated approach will offer high-impact learning experiences through real-world application. You can live and study at the seminary’s welcoming campus or continue to serve a congregation near the community that you already call home, completing your courses online and through periodic on-campus intensives.
In July 2018, we announced the largest single gift in Luther Seminary’s history—$21.4 million—to fully fund
a five-year pilot of an accelerated Master of Divinity program. Due to the generous support of long-time
Lutheran higher education champions Dean and Rosemarie Buntrock, students will receive full-tuition
scholarships and stipends for living expenses, books, computer software, and immersive travel
experiences. And they will be paid for their internship experiences in accordance with ELCA standards.
Students will graduate without taking on additional personal debt, freeing them to accept a call to ministry without taking on an undue financial burden.
July 8, 2020
December 1, 2020
(including supporting materials)
January 1, 2021
Candidacy Entrance Confirmation (or equivalent judicatory process)
January 1-31, 2021
February 1, 2021
February 15, 2021
Affirmation of intent
The following constellation of commitments, character traits, and competencies signal an individual’s readiness for the MDivX program:
- Gospel-centered: A commitment to Christ, the church, and the ministry of God’s word
- Innovative: The potential to lead, inspire, and relate positively with people with a demonstrated value of adaptability and innovation
- Academically rigorous: The academic ability to read and learn with discernment while writing and communicating with clarity and precision
- Spiritually healthy: Personal and relational health that allows for complete commitment to a full-time program lasting 24 months
- Communal and inclusive: A willingness to learn from the neighbor different from them through theological discourse and open conversations while respecting and honoring difference
- Full-time: The ability to commit to full-time, intensive study for 24 months (including ceasing all outside employment or other academic coursework)
Luther Seminary is committed to being a diverse and welcoming community. Living out its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Luther Seminary encourages students to apply who are equally invested in these values.
Associate Director, MDivX Pilot Project