Luther Seminary welcomes applications from international students who want to apply directly to Luther Seminary. In additional, Luther Seminary benefits from a strong partnership between international students and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Global Mission unit. If your home country’s church is in partnership with the ELCA, you are encouraged to apply through ELCA Global Mission.
International student housing
Luther Seminary offers a variety of housing options for seminarians, whether they are alone or accompanied by families. Luther Seminary is committed to providing you with housing options and assisting you with your initial adjustment to accommodate your needs while you are in school.
International student financial aid
Luther Seminary works together with the ELCA Global Mission and companion national churches to determine priorities for financial aid.
International applicants who are Lutheran are advised and encouraged to apply for an ELCA International Scholarship through their national (home) church body to ELCA Global Mission. The application form must be submitted by Oct. 15 the year before a student intends to enroll.
For those international applicants requesting financial aid from Luther Seminary, complete the International Student Financial Aid Application Form by March 1.
International student life
Luther Seminary's international students are just some of the students who make up the ecumenical and diverse student body. This academic year, Luther Seminary welcomed 58 international students in a variety of programs from 23 different countries. Recent international students have come from:
Argentina, Cameroon, Canada, China, Congo, Ethiopia, Guyana, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Namibia, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Slovakia, South Korea, Tanzania, and the U.K.
Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs (ISSA)
The ISSA Office:
- serves as the primary contact for all international applicants, assisting students with application requirements and financial solvency documents. The ISSA also reviews, verifies and evaluates the accreditation and/or degree of foreign academic credential
- assists in identifying and coordinating financial resources and administering scholarship funds for all international students
- provides relevant services and support for international students and scholars at Luther Seminary
- leads the seminary in compliance with U.S. Federal regulations as they relate to international students/scholars who come to study, research, teach, relate and work at the seminary
- provides leadership for the international efforts of the seminary
International Student and Scholar Affairs
2481 Como Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55108 USA
Fax: (+1) 651-641-3274
Marie Y. Hayes, Director
Northwestern Hall 110C
Chenar E. E. Howard, Assistant Director
Northwestern Hall 110B