Dual Degree: Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy with M.A. in Theology
Luther Seminary and Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
Become a theologically-based counselor. Enroll in this new dual degree program, combining the strength of the marriage and family therapy program at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota with the solid theological foundation of a Luther Seminary education.
The program prepares students to take the state licensure exam in most states as a marriage and family therapist. Graduates may go on to serve the therapeutic and spiritual needs of individuals, couples and families in public, private and religious settings. Students will gain both a strong psychology education and solid counseling skills in a faith-based context.
At the completion of the program you will receive a:
- Master of Arts degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
- Master of Arts degree in Theology from Luther Seminary
Why a Dual Degree ?
The dual degree program offers:
- A wider range of career options.
- A wealth of potential field experience sites via links to Luther Seminary's network of partner congregations.
- Participation in the Saint Mary's University of Minnesota accredited counseling program and a deepening of your theological and spiritual formation.
- The opportunity to fulfill the theological education requirements for rostering as a diaconal minister in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). *Please contact the Office of Admissions at Luther and your synod's Candidacy staff (ELCA) for more information.*
- Preparation to take the state licensure exam in most states: LMFT—Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
The program is one of only two COAMFTE accredited marriage and family therapy programs in the Twin Cities area. It is the only accredited program in the surrounding five-state region that provides students with a theological foundation for their counseling work while preparing them for state licensure.
The dual degree program features instructors from both schools who are leaders in their fields. Full-time students can complete both Master of Arts degree programs in three years.
Depth of Twin Cities Educational Resources
The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul offer a wealth of opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience. The area is home to one of the nation's largest social service networks and is internationally renowned for its medical care. It is also home to the country's first center for victims of torture and is an international leader in the treatment of addiction.
The two campuses are located just 10 minutes apart in Minneapolis and St. Paul:
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus, 2500 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN. 55408
- Luther Seminary, 2481 Como Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108
A pioneer in outreach education since 1984, Saint Mary's University of Minnesota creates communities of learning when and where they are needed, serving both adult learners and the broader educational needs of society. Saint Mary's Marriage and Family Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education.
Luther Seminary is the nation's only Lutheran seminary offering a dual degree program in marriage and family therapy. It is the largest of the eight ELCA seminaries in the United States. The seminary is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS) and the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools/The Higher Learning Commission (NCA).