Record Group 2: Evangelical Lutheran Church

1916-1960

The Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed in 1917 from the merger of the Norwegian Synod (1853-1916), Hauge’s Synod (1876-1916) and the United Norwegian Lutheran Church (1890-1916), each represented more extensively in succeeding series. From 1917-1947 the name of this church body was the Norwegian Lutheran Church in America (NLCA). In 1947 the name was changed to the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC). Records of the NLCA/ELC span the period 1916-1960, and together with some material from predecessor church bodies run to 418.5 cubic feet.

President’s Office, 1917-1960 17.4 cu. ft.
Secretary/Treasurer’s Office, 1890-1960 1.0 cu. ft.
Church Council, 1917-1960 2.0 cu. ft.
Board of Trustees, 1917-1960 3.0 cu. ft.
Stewardship, 1935-1960 .5 cu. ft.
Higher education, 1879-1935 34.0 cu. ft.
Parish education, 1920-1960 25.0 cu. ft.
Home missions, 1894-1975 64.0 cu. ft.
World missions, 1890-present 86.0 cu. ft.
China, 1890-1948 45.0 cu. ft.
Hong Kong, 1948-present 7.0 cu. ft.
Taiwan, 1948-1985 8.0 cu. ft.
Japan, 1891-1990 10.0 cu. ft.
Madagascar, 1890-1990 16.0 cu ft.
South Africa, 1894-1998 15.0 cu. ft.
Tanzania, 1935-1975 5.0 cu. ft.
Cameroon, 1917-1987 14.0 cu. ft.
Nigeria, 1950-1962 1.0 cu. ft.
South America, 1950-1988 3.0 cu. ft.
India, Santal Mission, 1890-1985 4.0 cu. ft.
Liberia, 1950-1962 1.0 cu. ft.
Charities, 1917-1960 31.0 cu. ft.
Pensions, 1917-1960 3.0 cu. ft.
Deaconess work, 1917-1963 15.0 cu. ft.
Special Services Department, 1946-1960 8.0 cu. ft.
Women’s Missionary Federation, 1917-1963 68.0 cu. ft.
Lutheran Daughters of the Reformation, 1926-1963 7.0 cu. ft.
ELC Brotherhood, 1936-1960 6.0 cu. ft.
Young Peoples Luther League, 1917-1960 15.0 cu. ft.
NLCA/ELC Circuits & Districts, 1917-1960 12.0 cu. ft.

Class of Malagasy pastors in Norwegian style robe and ruff.
ca. 1910