Word & Service ministry candidates
Ministers of Word and Service provide a ministry exemplifying the life of Christ-like service to all persons and creation: nurturing, healing, leading, advocating dignity and justice, and equipping the people of God for their life of witness and service within and beyond the congregation for the sake of God's mission in the world.
(ELCA Candidacy Manual p. 27)
|Steps in affiliation for Word & Service
- Obtain entrance to candidacy from your synod candidacy committee.
- Apply for admission (affiliated) through the Office of Admissions and submit the affiliation fee and entrance approval documents during your first term of studies at the non-ELCA seminary.
- Upon admission, receive M.A.-affiliated status from Luther and be assigned a faculty advisor.
- You are encouraged to take Diaconal Ministry: History, Formation and Spirituality (HC 4337 01), offered each J-term. Please note the location alternates between Luther Seminary and Spirit of the Desert Retreat Center in Carefree, AZ.
- Meet with the Contextual Learning office regarding CPE and internship.
- Present plan for completion of theological education requirements, CPE and internship to your candidacy committee as part of your endorsement interview (or earlier if applicable).
- Complete CPE.
- Complete internship.
- Complete academic requirements.
- Complete faculty and synod approval and assignment for first call.
The ordering of these steps may change based on individual circumstances and plans for completing Word & Service ministry requirements.
It is your (the candidate's) responsibility to maintain ongoing contact with Luther, initiating contact with appropriate faculty and staff to fulfill the candidacy requirements.
Affiliation is expected to take place within the candidate's first term of study at the non-ELCA seminary. Affiliation and admission to Luther Seminary is based on the admission requirements of your degree program. Your affiliation requires continued good academic standing at your primary seminary and ongoing progress with ELCA candidacy. The ELCA has determined the affiliation fee be paid to the ELCA seminary at the time of affiliation. Other tuition and fees are outlined in the Luther Seminary catalog and are applied after the candidate is enrolled at Luther.
For those interested in becoming part of the ELCA deaconess community, in addition to candidacy for Word & Sacrament, please visit the Deaconess Community website.