The following documents provide detailed guidance for MDivX interns, supervisors and internship committee members.
Cohort 1 (2019-2021)
- MDivX Internship Handbook for 2019-21 (rev. 5/31/19)
- MDivX Internship Committee Handbook for 2019-21 (rev. 5/31/19)
Cohort 2 (2020-2022)
The handbook includes expectations the Contextual Learning office holds for internship sites (congregation), supervisors and internship committees:
- Every congregation requesting an intern must have a current application on file with the Contextual Learning office. Site applications must be updated and resubmitted every year.
- The congregation’s financial obligations include: amount to approximately $7,500 spread out over the span of two years (without housing support). Congregations that are “open placements,” which a student relocates to for their internship, have additional obligations to provide private housing and utilities (including high-speed internet). Please refer to the Financial Guidelines page for details on these financial obligations.
- The ELCA requires that every congregation which hosts an intern must have in place a policy against sexual harassment. The text of the congregation’s policy is a required part of the congregation’s application form. View a sample policy. If you have any questions about the formation of such a policy for your congregation, please contact Contextual Learning Office at email@example.com.
- Supervisors must attend the MDivX Supervisor Training on the Luther Seminary campus prior to the beginning of the internship. For the 2020-2022 cohort this training will be held May 4-6, 2020.
- The supervisor is responsible for forming the internship committee.
- The supervisor will arrange at least one hour per week for a supervisory meeting with the intern, concerning theological reflection, pastoral identity and ministry. This time should be kept free from external interruptions and routine calendar planning, and should focus on the intern’s development as a pastor.
- The supervisor will attend internship cohort retreats with the intern. For the 2020-2022 MDivX cohort, these retreats will occur in September 2020 and February 2022.
- The supervisor will complete the evaluation forms as required by the intern’s judicatory body.
The internship committee
- An internship committee, usually consisting of five to eight congregational members, will be a special resource to the intern. The committee will observe the intern’s work, engage in regular discussions with the intern, and provide feedback and evaluation. The internship committee and the committee chair will be designated before the arrival of the intern and will be prepared to welcome and assist the intern upon arrival.
- The internship committee will meet at least once a month with the intern.
- The internship committee will complete the mid-point and final evaluations of the intern.