- Th.D. (Union Theological Seminary)
- Ordained (ELCA)
- M.Div. (Lutheran School of Theology, Rock Island)
- M.A. (University of Michigan)
Arland Hultgren came to Luther Seminary in 1977 as associate professor of New Testament and was named professor in 1986. He was chair of the department from 1986 to 1993. He had been on the faculty in religious studies at Wagner College, Staten Island, N.Y., from 1969 to 1977.
He was ordained in 1966 and called as assistant pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church, Tenafly, N.J., where he stayed until 1968. He also took a parish leave from the seminary and served as pastor of St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in 1979-80.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill. (1961), Hultgren earned the M.A. degree from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (1963), and the M.Div. degree from Lutheran School of Theology, Rock Island (1965). He received the Th.D. degree from Union Theological Seminary, New York, in 1971, and has done additional study during sabbaticals at the Universities of Cambridge, England (1984-85), and Uppsala, Sweden (1990-91).
Hultgren is a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas. He has served on the Board of Trustees of Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn., (1990-99) and was editor of Word & World (1981-88).
Books he has written include:
- Paul’s Letter to the Romans: A Commentary (2011)
- The Parables of Jesus: A Commentary (2000)
- The Rise of Normative Christianity (1994)
- Advent-Christmas: Proclamation (1989)
- New Testament Christology: A Critical Assessment and Annotated Bibliography (1988)
- Christ and His Benefits: Christology and Redemption in the New Testament (1987)
- Paul’s Gospel and Mission: The Outlook from His Letter to the Romans (1985)
- 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Augsburg Commentary on the New Testament (1984)
He is co-editor of
- The Augustana Heritage: Recollections, Perspectives, and Prospects (1999)
- The Earliest Christian Heretics: Readings from Their Opponents (1996)
- All Things New: Essays in Honor of Roy A. Harrisville (1992)
- Christ and His Communities: Essays in Honor of Reginald H. Fuller (1990)