Meet Director of International Student and Scholar Affairs Chenar E. E. Howard
In her first semester as director of International Student and Scholar Affairs, Chenar E. E. Howard and her team worked hard to make sure all of Luther Seminary’s international students felt welcomed and ready to pursue a dream long prayed for.
“When they landed, I wanted somebody at the airport to greet them and get them on campus,” Howard said. “I wanted them to walk into their dorm room with the bed already made and towels in their closets—something that says, ‘We’re so happy you’re here.’”
Howard’s ties to Luther Seminary run deep. Her family moved to St. Paul when her father, Dale Howard ‘93 M.Div., started his degree at Luther. As a 12-year-old, Howard spent weekends alongside her dad studying in the Gullixson Hall library. Her father, a child and grandchild of Methodist missionaries to India, naturally formed connections with the international community at Luther.
Howard has served the seminary’s international students for 16 years in various roles. She was recently promoted to director of International Student and Scholar Affairs upon Marie Hayes’ retirement.
This interview had been edited for length and clarity.
Winter 2023 Articles
- What does faithful innovation look like?
- Learning from a holy experiment
- Stepping into a new role
- I am what I am because of who we all are
- 2023 annual report
- Preparing a place for international students
- What visual art is spiritually meaningful to you?
- Jubilee Scholarship expands to graduate certificates
- Winter 2023: Alumni news
- Winter 2023: Faculty and staff notes
- Helping rural leaders grow
- Word & World launches new website
- ‘To be in right relationship’: Luther Seminary adopts land acknowledgement
- First Karvonen-Montgomery Preaching Fellowship awarded