Start your application
Apply online now
Complete the online application form to get the process started. You can save your progress and return to complete your online application at any time.
All D.Min. applications are due by February 15 of the year you intend to enroll.
Once your initial application is received, you will be sent an email that walks you through the next steps in the application process and provides login instructions for MyLutherNet, where you can track your application progress.
Essays on vocation and ministry
Submit essays appropriate to the D.Min. program to which you are applying. Each essay should be no longer than three double-spaced pages.
|D.Min. in Biblical Preaching
Applicants to the D.Min. in Biblical Preaching must submit two essays that address the following questions:
- Describe and reflect upon your practice of preaching, making explicit the theological themes, principles, and values that inform it.
- Reflect upon how you hope this D.Min. program will help you to improve your preaching, describing what you see as your strengths and primary areas of growth.
D.Min. in Biblical Preaching applicants must also submit a sermon sample (the written text of a preached sermon) and a letter of support (found on page 4 of this application).
|D.Min. in Congregational Mission and Leadership
Applicants to the D.Min. in Congregational Mission and Leadership must submit three essays that address the following questions:
- What are the primary challenges and opportunities within your present ministry context, both in the congregation and the community it serves? What is God doing?
- How would this D.Min. program help you to improve your leadership in addressing these challenges and opportunities? What are your strengths and primary areas of growth? What does God want to do through you?
- What are the primary themes or values that inspire your work as a pastoral leader? What significant autobiographical events or persons have influenced your ministry? How has God shaped you as a leader?
Submit your entrance essays as Word docs or PDFs to the Admissions Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail (2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
Please include your login number (included in your initial application confirmation email) with your essay.
Transcripts and letters of recommendation
Please request official transcripts from every accredited college, university, seminary and other graduate school from which you have received credit. Transcripts must clearly show that you have received the Master of Divinity degree or its formal academic equivalent.
Transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
Applicants who graduated from Luther Seminary within 20 years from the time of application may submit a transcript release authorization form (Word doc) to the Office of the Registrar for release of the undergraduate transcript.
Submit letters of recommendation
A recommendation from your ministry supervisor (e.g., bishop, etc.)
A recommendation from a clergy colleague
A recommendation from a lay person familiar with your current ministry (e.g., council president, etc.)
You will need to ask those submitting a recommendation to submit a recommendation letter to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108)
Once your application is complete
Once all of your materials are received, your application will be reviewed at the next regularly scheduled admissions committee meeting. You will be notified in April of their decision.
If you are accepted (congratulations!), you will be asked to:
- Reserve a place in the cohort by confirming acceptance of admission. Send an affirmation of intent to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108); and
- Submit a deposit of $400 by May 1 to confirm your intent to enroll. (This amount will be deducted from the first quarterly payment of tuition due July 1.)