See the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) page for degree requirements and other program details.
1. Prerequisites and Application Deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0+ on a 4.0 scale
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) IS NOT required for admission to Master of Divinity degree programs.
- International Students — please see International Student Applications
Applications for Fall 2021 are now open:
- Early Priority Deadline: November 1, 2020
- To Qualify for Fund for Leaders (ELCA applicants): January 15, 2021
- To Qualify for Distinguished Scholarships: April 1, 2021
- Final Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
The online application and all supporting documents must be submitted to complete your application. Your application will not be considered by the admissions committee until it is complete.
2. Submit Online Application
Submit the online application to begin the process. You will be asked to provide detailed information and will respond to a series of questions related to the degree program for which you apply. You can save your progress and return to submit your online application at any time. Please be prepared to provide the contact information for your recommendations (described in more detail below).
Once your initial application is received, you will be sent an email that walks you through the next steps in the application process and notifies you of your missing materials. You can check your online admissions portal at anytime to track your application progress.
3. Submit Supporting Documents
Please request official transcripts from every college or university from which you have received credit. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108). Once received, your online application portal will be updated.
Please submit a resume with relevant vocational, ministry, leadership and service experience (no more than 2 pages) – you will submit this through your online application portal.
At the time of submitting your online application, you will be asked to provide contact information for three recommenders.
- Pastor/Ministry Mentor Recommendation
- Teacher/Academic Recommendation (Alternate: Work Supervisor if you graduated over five years ago)
- Additional Recommendation of your choosing
The online application portal will contact your recommenders at the provided email addresses with the appropriate recommendation forms.
If you are also an applicant seeking or planning to seek ordination into rostered ministry, you will be required to submit the following additional supporting documents to complete your application:
- Authorization for release form – you will submit this through your online application portal.
- ELCA only – Email confirmation from your candidacy committee that your entrance interview has been scheduled with indicated date of entrance interview (please request email be sent to email@example.com). It is important to begin the process with your synod right away as it can take several weeks to complete all the steps required to schedule your entrance interview.
If your previous GPA falls below the 3.0 minimum you will also be asked to submit a Statement of Academic Readiness – you will submit this through your online application portal.
4. Once your application is complete
Once we have received your online application and all supporting documents and your application is complete, your file will be reviewed by the admissions committee. Luther Seminary has a collaborative review process that requires sufficient lead time before the admissions committee meets. If your application and all of your supporting documents are not received within the lead time accounted for in the above application deadlines and needed to ensure a thoughtful review, it may not be reviewed until the following committee meeting. Admissions committee meeting dates are not public.
You will be notified of the admissions committee’s decision through your online application portal. If you are accepted (congratulations!), you will be asked to send an affirmation of intent to the Admissions Office through the online application portal.